Checklist For Meeting With Your Bankruptcy Attorney
You will be requested to provide the following information when you meet with your bankruptcy attorney for the first time:
- Photo identification (i.e. driver’s license, passport, military id).
- Social Security Card.
- Copy of last 2 years tax returns, including copy of most recently filed tax return.
- Evidence of income from whatever source (ie. paystubs, unemployment, bank statements showing deposits, etc.) including most recent pay stub, for all household income for the past 6 months. Note: If you are married and living together, even if your spouse is not filing bankruptcy with you, the same income information is required of the non-debtor spouse.
- A list of your regular monthly expenses. (i.e. mortgage/rent, phone, utilities, car payments, insurance, etc.)
- A Credit Counseling Certificate from one of the approved Credit Counceling Agencies. List of approved agencies. (You should not pay more than $50 for this certificate. Most cost between $9-$15.) These expire after a few months so I recommend getting it right after you sign the petition with your attorney.
- After the bankruptcy case is filed you will need to obtain a Certificate of Financial Management from one of the approved agencies. List of approved agencies. (You should not pay more than $50 for this certificate. Most cost between $9-$15.)
If you own real estate, then bring a copy of:
- The recorded deed.
- The recorded homestead, if you have one. If you do not, then a Homestead should be prepared and filed before the bankruptcy.
- Most recent statement from all mortgages, home equity lines.
- Judicial liens against the property (if any).
- A copy of the most recent statement or collection letter that you have for each and every creditor that you owe or dispute owing, including auto loans and leases payments.
- A copy of any complaints filed with a court or court notices of any actions pending against you. Make a list of all of your regular ongoing monthly expenses.
- A copy of a recent credit report. If you have not obtained one yet, you are entitled to one free credit report per year. You may obtain one of these reports from Experian by calling toll free at 888-322-5583 or online at experian.com.
Need a Consultation?
With over 25 years of experience and dedicated personal customer service, the Law Offices of Honoria DaSilva-Kilgore P.C. are here to provide unsurpassed professional and confidential legal advice and representation.